Matt Thomson has worked over forty vintages in numerous wine regions around the world and runs the winery together with his partner Sophie Parker-Thomson.
'Blank Canvas represents my story as a winemaker. It is an endeavour that is entirely my own expression of winemaking, is from my own funding, and is exclusively my risk.'
The 'Blank Canvas' is the vineyard and the variety, the winery the brush and palette (no pun intended) at the winemaker's disposal, all the while defined by the scientific grounding Matt laid at university and has built upon over the past 23 years.
In an unprecedented approach, Matt co-fermented a select parcel of Syrah fruit with 7% Gruner Veltliner skins. This is a similar technique to what is done in Northern Rhone but with Austria’s hallmark white variety instead of France’s Viognier. Matt specifically chose Gruner Veltliner so the finished wine would benefit from its white pepper note. 60% whole bunches were fermented. The wine was hand-plunged and fermented by cultured and wild yeasts. The wine was aged for 10 months, 35% in new French oak with the remaining 65% in seasoned second-third fill French oak. After ageing, the wine was blended and bottled unfiltered.
'This has deep ruby colour with purple hints; the nose is savoury with black pepper, olive tapenade and tar, dark berry fruit such as plum, blueberry and blackberry along with sweet baking spice. The palate is medium-bodied and balanced with good acidity. Tannins are fine and integrated. This is a great all-rounder, but I think it will work particularly excellent with charcuterie.' Anja Breit, Philglas & Swiggot